How To Get A Web Design Education
Let’s talk more about web design education.
What will you have to learn to become a web designer?
- HTML – this is the basis of every website. Without knowing and understanding what it is, you can’t go any further.
- CSS (Cascading style sheets) – makes webpages look good. It’s not that complicated, but it will require some effort on your part to understand it all.
- Flash – adds interactivity to the website (videos, animations, etc.)
- Color Theory – a website should keep visitors interested, and one of the main factors is to choose the right color composition. Also, a good idea is to study visual arts or/and design.
Most companies do not hire web designers full-time, because they look for workers who know some other programming languages. That’s why I recommend you take some programming courses as well. What language should you learn? Well, that really depends on the company – PHP, Java, Ruby, Python, C++ are only a few of the options. The more you know, the better!
You can study Web designing yourself. The main benefit is the cost. Sure, you will have to find some educational materials, but thanks to the Internet that’s not really a problem anymore. Here is where I would go:
- http://www.w3schools.com/ – they have fantastic tutorials
- Ebooks & Books
- Design Sites & Blogs – Like Webdesigner Depot
- Forums – people present their codes & graphics, and other forum members give them some feedback.
- Here is what some experts think about getting a degree in web designing:
- How to teach yourself web designing